Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Feb 26 Homework

I've received all your 'fun facts'. I'll post them on Friday and you can vote by secret ballot :) in class. You have only one vote and it can't be for yourself. Your name will be on each ballot. 

We will have to delay a possible debate until after the break....sorry.

I will change my plan for today a little. I told you to watch Professor Reeve's lecture on the Merovingians and I would quiz you in class. I will give you the quiz questions and you may take notes as you watch. Hopefully, this is the second time you have seen the whole lecture and the quiz will be fairly easy. Some questions require a few sentence answers such as number 1. You may hand in the quiz tomorrow if it is not finished in class today.

Today, I had planned to play Professor Daileader's lecture, having made all the questions for it. I'm not sure if I will use it yet because as I study more about the topics, it seems to me that he doesn't deal fully with the Islamic attacks on Europe. When dealing with the Crusades, he presents the crusaders as mainly greedy and violent. There is nothing about the centuries of Muslim terror that preceded the crusades. Daileader seems to follow the mainstream "Christians bad, muslims good" interpretation. So, tomorrow, I will present Professor Reeves' lecture on the Carolingians. I hope to have the questions ready tomorrow, but possibly not til Friday.

The class will be divided into the following 3 teams. Each team will present one half hour topic to the Grade 4's starting in mid-April, one per week. 

One of our books, Medieval Projects, has a 'how to make' set of instructions at the end of each chapter.

Here are the teams:
Jed and Judah
Josh, Noah, and Alana
Anna, Kaelyn, and Daniel

Think about topics now. Some possibilities are 


  • Knights and Jousting,
  • Lords and ladies,
  • Monks and monasteries,
  • Castles and battles,
  • Weapons of war
  • Feasts
  • Vikings


I may post a few more. Tomorrow, each team will give me in order from 1 to 3, your preferred topics.

More materials are on the way. You will have books and lesson plans to choose from. Also, you might use a short video clip on the smartboard, or an online website with a photo of a knight, castle etc. Next week, the ROM will give me a Medieval Europe kit with authentic objects and some lesson plans. We can spend time in class dividing things up. Each team will need to do some coordinating during the March break. I will be checking on progress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just want to mention that we aren't suppose to technically be working on projects over the march break. The break is so that we get a "break". Tests are different.